We are excited to start 2023 off with a fascinating Conservative Party Forum discussing a very interesting topic, one of the areas considered as being central to modern Conservatism – Capitalism – to ensure that we are clear on what we understand by the term and what the support amongst Party members for responsible capitalism, private enterprise and a free market economy looks like.
Capitalism: The practices or principles of capitalists; the dominance of capitalists in financial and business enterprises; esp. an economic system based on wage labour in which the means of production is controlled by private or corporate interests for the purpose of profit, with prices determined largely by competition in a free market.
Capitalist: A person who possesses capital assets; esp. one who invests these esp. for profit in financial and business enterprises. Also: an advocate of capitalism or of an economic system based on capitalism.
Capital: Real or financial assets possessing a monetary value; the stock with which a company, corporation, or individual enters into business; the total sum of shareholders’ contributions in a joint-stock company; accumulated wealth or goods, esp. as used in further production.
The questions that we will discuss during the forum are:
- If you had 30 seconds with someone to make the case for capitalism, what would you say?
- How might we best promote capitalism to the next generation?
- What international example do you think best exemplifies the benefits of capitalism?
- What international example do you think best highlights what can go wrong when capitalism is neglected?
- Please share any helpful short quotes from world leaders on the subject.
- What should capitalism look like when translated into policy in each of the following areas?
- i. Cost of living
- ii. Energy security
- iii. NHS health and social care
- iv. Global influence
Please join us on Wednesday 11th January from 7.00pm until 8.00pm and let us have your views on this topic – and its link to Conservatism. This forum will take place via Zoom so please book your place using the button below and a link for the evening will be sent to you. If you have any issues with accessing the forum or if you have views you would like to share but are unable to attend the Forum, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the evening.
We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible!